Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Fellowship
The University of Chicago Medicine is recruiting qualified applicants for a 12-month ACGME accredited EMS Fellowship to begin July 1, 2022. The program provides a comprehensive and diverse educational training program in EMS. The fellow will work 6 shifts a month in the University of Chicago Emergency Department. Salary and benefits per PGY clinical level with opportunities to moonlight.
- The Region 11 Chicago EMS System provides medical oversight for Chicago Fire Department as well as other private ground and air EMS providers covering over 2.7 million people
- Chicago Fire Department provides exclusive 911 response including Emergency Medical Services, Fire Suppression and Rescue, and Special Operations.
- University of Chicago Aeromedical Network (UCAN) provides helicopter transport of critically ill or injured patients of all ages via scene response or inter-facility transport for the Chicago area and Northwest Indiana
- The University of Chicago Medicine is the Resource Hospital for the Chicago South EMS System
- One of the nation’s leading academic medical institutions
- New Adult Emergency Department opened December 2017 (75,000 visits annually)
- We are a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center, Comprehensive Stroke Center, STEMI Center, Burn Center, VAD Center, and Level III Perinatal Center
- Comer Pediatric Emergency Department is a Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center (35,000 visits annually)
- Work with the Region 11 EMS System and EMS Medical Directors Consortium (MDC)
- EMS clinical time with Chicago Fire Department and University of Chicago Aeromedical Network (UCAN)
- Provide Online Medical Control as a certified Emergency Communications Physician (ECP) in Illinois
- Perform curriculum development, instruction, and evaluation of EMS education
- Disaster preparedness courses and drills with the Chicago Department of Public Health
- Mass gathering plan development and implementation at the Chicago Marathon
- Tactical education with the NIPAS SWAT team
Katie Tataris, MD, MPH, FAEMS, FACEP
EMS Medical Director, Chicago South EMS System
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Emergency Medicine
Lindsay Jaeger, MD
EMS Fellowship Faculty
Director of EMS, Trauma and Disaster, Comer Children’s Hospital
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine
Please submit the following application via email to the Fellowship Program Coordinator, Diane Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For any questions regarding the program, contact Dr. Katie Tataris, the Fellowship Program Director (email@example.com).
- A cover letter describing your interest in EMS and relevant prior experience
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Support (one from your Residency Director)
Applications will be accepted until October 1st, 2021. We participate in the NRMP match for EMS Fellowships.
- Graduate of an ACGME-accredited U.S. Emergency Medicine Residency, BE/BC in Emergency Medicine
- Applicants BE/BC in Pediatric Emergency Medicine also considered
- Qualified to work as an attending physician at University of Chicago
- Must hold an Illinois Medical License and DEA license prior to starting fellowship