Medical Education Fellowship
The University of Chicago Section of Emergency Medicine offers a two-year Medical Education Fellowship. This SAEM-approved fellowship provides professional development for the experiential, administrative and research foundation necessary for a career in undergraduate or graduate medical education leadership.
Fellowship Director’s Message:
Welcome to the University of Chicago Medical Education Fellowship!
The University of Chicago Emergency Medicine Program, founded in 1972, is one of the oldest programs and has painted a strong tradition of training and mentoring leaders across all facets of EM. Our program has produced many leaders in the GME and UGME sphere; the Medical Education Fellowship provides a formal and rigorous pathway that continues this proud tradition.
This a two-year program that focuses on professional development in three realms: 1) teaching expertise, 2) administrative experience, and 3) medical education research and scholarship. Our fellows will have multiple local and national opportunities to practice and mature their teaching skills, as well as formal instruction in creating and delivering educational content. Fellows have a fully immersive administrative experience with the opportunity to integrate within our UGME and GME leadership teams. Further, the fellowship provides a robust research infrastructure through personal mentorship, classwork and the strong education network at the University of Chicago and Pritzker School of Medicine. This three-pronged approach to fellowship training ensures future academic success for our alumni.
Our tradition is rich and full, and our fellowship program has a bright future. We are excited for your interest in our program!
The below serves as a framework to our fellow(s) training and professional development over 24-months. There is flexibility built into the model to encourage and support the development of each individual fellow’s interest and career aspirations.
- Fellows are encouraged to apply for and complete a Master’s degree during their 24-month commitment
- Prior options have included Masters in Health Professions Education (M.H.P.E.) and Masters Program for Clinical Professionals (M.S.)
- The fellow may also choose from multiple distance learning programs available at this website: http://www.faimer.org/resources/mastersmeded.html
- Salary support available
- Serve as an Interim Assistant Program Director
- Serve on Educational Leadership Committee
- Serve on the Clinical Competency Committee
- Serve on Program Evaluation Committee
- Mentor medical students entering emergency medicine
- Attendance to faulty meetings and retreat
- Implementation of a medical-education based scholarly project
- Creation and submission of research protocol, budget and IRB
- Submission of abstract to scientific meeting or production of a peer-reviewed manuscript
- Submission of a medical education grant proposal
We are accepting applications for our fellowship program. Our deadline for submission is September 1st.
- BC/BE in Emergency Medicine
- Demonstrated interest in medical education, administration, and research
- Letter of Intent
- Letter of Recommendation from the trainee’s Program Director
- Additional Letter of Recommendation
James Ahn, MD, MHPE
Fellowship Program Director
Residency Program Director
Associate Professor of Medicine